Wednesday 16 May 2007

The Lost Issues...





More precisely, the lost covers. I tried to liven up the appearance of ST shortly after a distinguished editor (after praising the contents highly) complained that it looked like 'a parish magazine'. What parish magazines actually look like these days I couldn't say. But, stung to action, I thrashed around trying to find artwork that would make it look less parishy. Or should that be parochial? I attempted to create abstract, stylish covers, but somehow was never satisfied.
In the event I was spared further internal wrangling when Allison Lovelock and Dallas Goffin - two excellent, and very different, artists - both offered me some fine work for free. But I wonder how people would have reacted if I had taken the homespun fractal route instead? 

4 comments:

Adam Golaski said...

I like the fractal covers, and, indeed, New Genre #5 will have a cover like it--tho we refer to it as the jellyfish cover.

Any chance you'll do color covers, even if, say, it was all red (like issue #5)? I've no complaint about the cover art itself (and particularly liked #8). And eager to see the cover of the current issue.

Adam

valdemar said...

Soon you shall, O patient one. And, yes, I am thinking of moving from black and white to two-colour, as it apparently wouldn't cost any more. I'll have some more on this shortly. The cover of the current issue is on the web page now, which has been successfully updated. On this here blog I'll try out bits of art now and again.

Adam Golaski said...

how about a link to the website from here and vice versa?

A.

valdemar said...

There's a link to here from the web page. Let me see if I can do the same thing in reverse...

LET YOUR HINGED JAW DO THE TALKING by Tom Johnstone (Alchemy Press)

ST 55 features a tale by Brighton's finest purveyor of contemporary horror, Tom Johnstone. And it just so happens that Alchemy Press is...